Friday, April 19, 2013

Early Mammogram Screenings: Helpful or harmful?

Now that we all know of the dangers of radiation, and that it holds the potential to cause cancer, why should we electively receive mammograms? Doctors are aware of the risks involved in receiving radiographic procedures (as you are now also, I hope) but often, the benefits outweigh the risks. The low doses received by a mammogram are not known to cause any specific problems (unlike the 200 rads will cause temporary sterility). [6] The reason older women are recommended to have these procedures is because as we age, our cells become more sensitive to radiation. I will mention now, that radiation exists all around us, naturally in our environment, which means we are receiving low doses of this stuff everyday. This means you never have to receive a radiographic procedure and you may still get cancer. This is also why we are not able to conclude when someone gets cancer from a procedure, or if it was caused by naturally occurring radiation. Older women may get breast cancer because they are more sensitive to radiation that they are receiving everyday, just from living day to day on earth, or it may be hereditary, or even from a medical procedure they have received--we just don't know. To me, the benefits absolutely outweigh the risks involved. I have personal experiences in my own family, including a death from breast cancer, a survivor of breast cancer, and another who is losing her battle as we speak at the tender age of 38. Catching breast cancer in its early stages is the BEST way to have a chance at beating it. Knowing that I have a history of breast cancer in both sides of my family, I will absolutely opt in for early (probably earlier due to my family history) breast cancer screenings by way of mammography.

Please do not confuse early screenings of mammography with full body scans they offer at the mall. Full body scans expose ALL of your body to radiation, and for no reason. You should NEVER opt to expose yourself, just in the fear that somewhere in your body you have a problem. More times than not, your body will present itself with signs and symptoms of a problem and a full body scan will likely do nothing more than expose you and potentially give you cancer, and for NOTHING. This is why mammograms aren't recommended for women under the age of 40 (keep in mind hereditary cases may be cause for exception).

My verdict: HELPFUL (:

1 comment:

  1. Aimee,
    I think you did a great job informing people about mammography in your blog. I definitely agree that early mammogram screening is very beneficial to women, especially if you have a history of breast cancer in your family. I have also experienced members of my family fighting against breast cancer. My grandmother is currently fighting breast cancer, my mother has had several scares, and sadly I lost an aunt to the deadly disease. It is a very serious disease and if being screened early to potentially prevent or catch breast cancer before it is too late is an option for you than I absolutely believe it is the right thing to do. I know with my family history I will definitely take advantage of early breast cancer screenings by way of mammography.
    Thanks for your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete